Education providers and immigration law
As an education provider you’re in a unique position under current immigration law, responsible for both your employees and your students.
Under Tier 2 of the Points Based System, the requirements for education providers employing people from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) are the same as for any other employer. Click here to find out about how our services could help you meet your obligations as an employer under immigration law.
The Immigration Rules have also increased your obligations regarding international students. As a licensed sponsor under Tier 4 of the Points Based System, you are responsible for record keeping, monitoring and reporting to the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). Failure to meet these obligations could result in your sponsorship licence being downgraded or withdrawn.
What happens if you lose your licence?
In order to obtain a student visa, non-EEA nationals must have been accepted on a course run by a licensed sponsor. Losing your sponsorship licence could have serious financial implications, due to the loss of revenue from international students. Failure to obtain or the loss of a licence has already led to the closure of thousands of colleges.
In July 2009 the Home Affairs Committee's recommended an increase in rigorous and unannounced inspections by the UK Visas and Immigration, so it’s more important than ever to adhere to the rules.
How can we help?
We provide a range of services to help education providers comply with immigration law:
- We assist in the preparation of initial licence applications and applications to upgrade from B to A rating and for Highly Trusted Sponsors (HTS)
- We conduct immigration audits to ensure your continuing compliance. Our experience of working in immigration enforcement in the Home Office allows us to offer a special insight into what the UKVI is looking for. Our audits include:
- independent, objective and comprehensive examination of the processes required to meet UKVI requirements and
- sampling of international students’ files to ensure they are being implemented effectively.
- We offer a range of packages which provide continuous immigration support to colleges covering all immigration related matters.
- We work with colleges and universities on the scope for obtaining improved value for money through the adoption of good practice, outsourcing and training, including providing additional resources during peak period.
- We provide assistance to students on the completion and submission of applications to extend their stay. We also support students in making in-person applications.
We aim to save you time and stress, as well as minimising the impact of the new rules on your institution, helping you to continue to recruit and retain international students.
Click here for a detailed breakdown of our services
Take the stress out of immigration
Contact us today to arrange a consultation or for a quotation